The project has fulfilled the targets set at its launch, namely:
- GAUGING THE VOLUMES OF WATER SAVED in order to estimate the impact of measures on water use and consumption, as well as on the level of the water table;
- ASSESSING THE EFFECTIVENESS OF MEASURES in order to produce decision-aid tools;
- PROPOSING A METHOD of transferring the experiment to other areas of Europe;
- RAISING AWARENESS among the next generations and in communities of the need to save water, manage and control consumption and preserve resources;
- ENHANCING KNOWLEDGE of water use and consumption.
All these measures were analysed to measure the impact of each one on drinking water consumption habits, on water supply volumes and on groundwater levels in order to determine their effectiveness
The project enables a SAVING OF AT LEAST 800,000 TO 900,000m3 of water per year, and thus offsets the additional needs of new arrivals in Gironde!
How did we achieve this result?
- The distribution of WATER-SAVING KITS led to A REDUCTION OF AT LEAST 12% IN DRINKING WATER CONSUMPTION per household per year, in other words, a saving of 700,000 to 800,000m3 per year!
- The installation of PRESSURE MODULATORS helped to SAVE ALMOST 90,000m3 per year and to improve service by increasing the technical expertise of the water authority on the knowledge and monitoring of its network.
These were the only actions that were measured, as the data feedback on other actions was not sufficient to enable meaningful analysis.
See the exact results and various reports under the ‘Production and Tools’ tab
The project was officially closed on 31 December 2017. Certain aims have been maintained and new and supplementary actions will be deployed. To find out about the project follow-up and actions being deployed to sustain its results, see the After-Life+ plan here.